Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Roasted Turkey or Chicken Legs with Signature Salad #2 and Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Tonight's, in particular, was turkey legs since I got them on sale. (Turkey legs are usually super cheap anyway...FYI). But I'd say 90% of the time, I just use chicken legs. The skins are not necessary, if that makes you naturally avoid poultry. Mr. Wonderful is not a fan of skins. So I usually take the skins off. At least a couple of them. But I like the crispy, wonderful golden skins. Ok, enough with the skins...move on, lady!

What you need: (for roasted poultry)

turkey or chicken legs (or any other pieces like thighs or breasts)
salt and pepper
poultry seasoning (optional; actually it's not the best on the turkey legs. More for the chicken, in my opinion)
Whoops, left these out of the original ingredient shot.

How you make it:

Season liberally and place pieces in a roasting pan (any oven-safe pan or dish is fine).
Turn oven to broil or as high as it goes (500-550 degrees). Broil for 10-15 minutes to get the outsides golden. Turn down heat to 375 and continue cooking for 30 minutes. Longer (about 45 minutes) for larger pieces, shorter for smaller.

What you need: (for mashed potatoes)

4 potatoes
1/4-1/2 C. sour cream
garlic salt
pepper

How you make it:

Peel and quarter potatoes. Place in saucepan with water to cover potatoes. Bring to a boil and cover and reduce heat to medium. Low boil for 20-25 minutes. Potatoes should be soft when pierced. Drain. Mash by hand or with hand mixer with sour cream and garlic salt and pepper added.

What you need: (Signature Salad #2)

Fresh spinach
dried cranberries
almond slices
feta cheese
mushrooms, sliced
Raspberry Lime dressing
not pictured, but still yummy to add if you have:
tomatoes, avocado

How you make it:
Toss the ingredients together. (Makes a great lunch by itself with grilled or canned chicken added. Or leftover cooked turkey.)

Now that I think about it, this was kind of thanksgiving-y tonight, with the turkey, mashed potatoes and cranberries in the salad. Well, gobble gobble!!

3 comments:

  1. you are so funny. I love to read your posts, because I can hear you say this stuff. I am like Mr. Wonderful, I don't like the skins either, we get it from our Mom. She would always pull the skin/crispy from her poultry too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Jenae, I pretty much just type what's spilling out of my brain. So, it should sound just like me! :)
    And regarding skins: I just take them off before even cooking them.

    ReplyDelete