Sunday, February 27, 2011

Pork Tenderloin with Creamy Mustard Sauce and Steamed Artichokes


Gotta give it up for the artichoke. It has the DOUBLE the fiber of 1 cup of broccoli. And is oh-so-yummy steamed and dipped in mustard dressing. (You don't have to make this pork chops and mustard sauce recipe to do that though....just mix up any mustard you like with some olive or canola oil, if you just want artichokes.) 

If you've read my regular pork chop recipe post, this is pretty similar, but is a small twist on it with the sauce.

What you need:

1 lb of pork loin chops (these were bone-in, but any cut of pork would be fine)
2 T. canola oil
1/2 C. fat-free evaporated milk
2 T. Dijon mustard
2-3 green onions, sliced

How you make it:

Season meat with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork and cook on each side for 2 minutes or until browned. Turn down heat and simmer for a super-long time, flipping occasionally. About 30-45 minutes. This makes for a really tender pork chop. (see original pork chop post as mentioned above).
Remove pork from pan and set aside and keep warm. With heat on low, add evaporated milk, mustard and green onions. Stir to loosen brown bits from bottom of pan and dissolve mustard throughout. Return pork to the skillet and cook for 1-2 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened, turning pork to coat with sauce.

Serve with steamed artichoke, baked potato and/or a fruit salad.

I really like to strain the extra sauce and use for dipping the artichoke. It makes a really nice and thin vinaigrette-type dressing. You can also pour it over the individual servings of pork chops. (Strained or unstrained is fine.)

This was the first time I'd really given artichokes to the kids and they LOVED them! Phew! Lucky this time. The dinner-gods were on my side tonight.

5 comments:

  1. First it was cake; now I want an artichoke. Funny, though - I made pork chops for dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is funny! Same wavelength this weekend...bet you didn't make them with this sauce though! I'll have to make it for you next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay so I want to make this next week (I already have everything I need- so it's a winner) BUT...the artichoke?!! I have never bought one, let alone cook one...but I love them! I know it's way simple (or so people tell me), but I still would love to hear how you do it, so I don't have to think- just follow instructions. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandy,
    I just trim off the top and bottom and steam them in a steamer basket in a pot on the stove. Do you use a steamer? I don't want to assume anything...the last time I bought one, the lady at the checkout said, "oh, what is this? What in the world do you use it for??" So, you never know.
    I like them not very soft, so I only steam them for 15 minutes. But you can go longer. Just check them and cut into the bottom with a knife to see how soft.
    And you can get away with cutting them in half and serving half of one per person. They're not super-cheap right now, since it's not the "season" for them entirely. I think I paid $4 for 2 the other day.
    Enjoy! Tell me how it works out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will enjoy this WSJ story - good stuff about artichokes and how to use them.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703580004576180800765763680.html

    ReplyDelete