Monday, January 17, 2011

"Yummy" Chicken and "The Best Ever" Green Beans




**This one needs about 3 hours marinating time, so plan ahead if you are looking to make this one. But it's still SUPER DUPER easy and NOT time-consuming, PROMISE!**

Yummy Chicken (A.K.A. Grilled Marinated Chicken Breast) was coined when I was little by my dad who was labeling the leftovers in the frig and didn't know the name of it, but that it was simply yummy. So, it has remained that name ever since. That's what my whole family knew it by and now my own kiddos as well. And the green beans come from the mother-in-law of my sister-in-law, Jenae, who I mentioned in my first blog post--follow that?? These beans are so addicting, I often eat the whole bowl practically by myself. Yes, green beans. You will love them. You must make them. Like tonight. Do it. You will thank me.

Yummy Chicken

What you need:

1/2 C. lemon juice

1.5 T. dijon mustard

1/2 C. vegetable oil

1/4 C minced onion

1 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. thyme

6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves

How you make it:

Whisk together the lemon juice and mustard. Follow with oil, onion, salt and thyme.

With a sharp knife, score both sides of each piece of chicken in a cross-hatch pattern about 1/8 inch deep. Place chicken in a large ziplock bag and add the marinade. Lay flat and refrigerate for 3 hours, flipping the bag halfway through to make sure it gets evenly distributed. (HINT: It's nice to have this on hand in the freezer for days when prep time doesn't exist. So, make extra marinade and freeze extra chicken in it for another night, You will thank yourself and have skipped the drive-thru.)
Arrange chicken on a broiler pan (don't have one, you say?? That's crazy. Get one. I use it ALL the time. They're like 10 bucks at Target if your oven didn't handily come with one. Most do, I think.) and grill on a high broil heat for 5-7 minutes each side, turning once. It is done when inside is no longer pink. Be sure not to overcook or it will be too dry.

Jenae's MIL's Best Ever Green Beans

I'm doing this one from memory, so if I've got it wrong, Jenae, you can tell me. :)
What you need:
Onion, some sliced, and some minced. (I like the combo of the two, in the finished product)
Garlic
Olive oil
Fresh or frozen green beans
Bacon bits
How you make it:

Sauté about 1/4 of an onion, sliced; and a couple cloves of minced garlic in olive oil in hot skillet until onion is tender. Add a bunch of fresh green beans (sprinkle with pepper and salt, if you like) and continue to sauté for another few minutes. Turn down heat and cover for 15-20 min, stirring occasionally. Finally, throw in some bacon bits, as many as to your taste, and cover and continue to let cook for another 15-20 min., stirring occasionally. With these, we like them really really really soft. With the crunchy bacon, garlic and onion, it's a delish combo.
No go forth and conquer!! And if you have a better name you'd like to call the chicken, like Lemon/Mustard Marinated or something like that, be my guest. But you can't blame my dad for aptly naming it simply "Yummy".

9 comments:

  1. That recipe looks so good and easy! I am trying it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. totally in my next weeks menu, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear!! THANKS for commenting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awful would the green beans be if I used canned? I have almost a year's supply of canned green beans that are starting to taste a little bland. Should I just try it and see, or has anyone else tried it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I haven't tried it with canned...I'm sure you wouldn't die.... ;) But I'm also sure it wouldn't be nearly as yummy. But who knows...? Maybe it would be close. Worth a try, I suppose. (On a side note, to help with the blandness of canned green beans, I usually serve it to the kids with a little butter and garlic salt. It's pretty good that way.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My tip/trick on the Yummy Chicken is to marinate a big batch at one time; grill some - and freeze the extra uncooked pieces for a night when you want a quick meal. I also like to use any leftover grilled pieces, cut up the next day in a salad for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the green beans are similar to how I usually make mine only I usually add balsamic vinegar as well. and I use canned beans for that so I imagine that canned would work just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jen, do you add the vinegar during the cooking, or at the end?

    ReplyDelete